While is fun to meet with family and friends at Super Bowl parties, it’s easy to completely blow your diet while doing so. While no one can eat perfectly every day; (remember the 90/10 rule or 80/20…) try to aim for eating properly at least 80 % of the time, 90 % is even better. Here are seven tips to help you stay on track at any party:
- Don’t go famished: Eat a healthy snack an hour or two before you go, such as a piece of lean cheese like mozzarella and some whole wheat crackers.
- Drink plenty of water at the party to help keep you full to prevent overeating and keep you hydrated so you don’t over indulge on alcohol and soda pop.
- Limit your alcohol intake: Alcohol is loaded with empty (non-nutritious) calories and will impair your judgment which can lead to overeating.
- Limit your soda intake: Soda is loaded with empty calories too and both diet and regular usually contain unhealthy ingredients.
- Fill up on fresh veggies such as carrot and celery sticks, zucchini and squash slices and broccoli flowers. You can offer to bring these if they’re not on the menu.
- Look for hummus, Greek yogurt dips and salsa and opt for these on your plate to dip your veggies in or whole wheat crackers.
- Don’t load up on high fat foods such as mayo based dips and salads, fried chicken wings and chips.